Thursday, June 13, 2024

Upper intermediate 2 - class 8 (12/06/24)

 This week we started with listening to the conversation on page 24. New words and phrases from the activity and the transcript: 


es difícil ser tajante - it is difficult to have a fixed idea

a mi modo de ver - from my point of view

me hundo en el sofá - I sink in my couch

cojo el mando - I grab the remote

se me pasan las horas volando - time flies by

programas de cotilleos - programmes on gossip

hay un buen trecho - there is a big difference



On activity C, we filled the gaps with a verb in the correct tense: 


  1. A mi modo de ver, la televisión tiene bastante calidad.

From my point of view, TV has quite good quality.

  1. Creo que con la cantidad de canales que hay es difícil no encontrar algo con lo que pasar el rato. 

I think that with the quantity of channels that are there it is difficult not to find something to spend time on.

  1. Me parece exagerado que la gente diga que se hace telebasura. 

I find it exaggerated that people say that junk TV is made.

  1. Yo diría que, con todos los canales que hay, es raro que sea tan difícil ver televisión de calidad. 

I would say that, with all the channels, it is rare that it is difficult to watch quality TV. 

  1. Me parece muy mal que los programas de cotilleos y las retransmisiones deportivas ocupen tantas horas 

I find it bad that gossip shows and sport broadcasts take up so many hours. 

  1. Yo veo que, aunque la calidad de los programas no sea la que todos querríamos, hay opciones para todos los gustos. 

I see that, although the quality of the shows is not what we all would want, there are options for all tastes.

  1. Es lógico que la televisión no guste a todos. 

It is logical that TV is not pleasing to everyone.

  1. No creo que la televisión sea mala en sí.

I don’t think TV is bad in itself.

  1. Yo considero que los jóvenes ya tienen otros hábitos. 

I consider that the youth have other habits. 



In the second part of the class we worked on debates on page 26. In pairs we completed the bubbles with a suitable opinion that contradicts the one given. Sample answers: 


2. Yo pienso que es importante que los jóvenes disfruten. Para los jóvenes es importante disfrutar.

I think that it is important that the youth enjoys it. For the young people it is important to enjoy.


3. Los estudiantes deberían elegir asignaturas que a ellos les gustan. Creo que es importante que elijan las asignaturas. 

The students should choose the subjects that they like. I think that it is important that they choose their subjects. 


4. Creo que la mejor educación se aprende en las calles. 

I think that the best education is learnt on the streets.


5.No hay problema en dar una buena bofetada de vez en cuando.

There is no problem in giving a good slap every now and then. 


absolutamente - absolutely

en absoluto - absolutely not

problemas - trouble



In the last part of the class, we talked about accepting and rejecting plans on page 18. Sample answers: 


¿Qué tal si…? - What if…?


tengo mucho lío - I have a lot on


2. No sé hacer comida cubana y es imposible aprender a hacer comida cubana en un día.

I don’t know how to make cuban food and it is impossible to learn to cook cuban food in one day.


Será un placer. De hecho, conozco a alguien que puede ayudarnos.

It will be a pleasure. In fact, I know someone who could help us. 


3. La verdad es que no me apetece, te aseguro que la próxima vez nos vamos. 

Honestly, I don’t feel like it, but I assure you that next time we will go. 


4.¡Cómo no! Por supuesto. Vamos el finde y después podemos comer en un nuevo restaurante. 

Sure! Of course. We will go at the weekend and then we can eat in that new restaurant.


5.Estaría fenomenal. Compraré todas las cosas y tú cocinas.

That would be great. I will buy everything and you cook. 


6. Bueno está bien. Si insistes… me encantaría ir contigo.

Well it’s ok. If you insist… I would love to be with you.


Mira, te propongo que te vayas yo me quedo aquí en el sofá.

Look, I suggest you go and I stay here on the couch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Beginners 2 - class 8 (11/06/24)

We start the class with a couple of audio to review the physical descriptions. We also reviewed clothing vocabulary and learned colours. The...